What is hypnobirthing?
Each birth is unique, and hypnobirthing is about empowering you to manage your individual experience, not fear it. Hypnobirthing empowers you to feel calm, confident and in control before, during and after child birth.
It’s about changing your expectation of birth so that you help rather than hinder the natural process, and develop valuable life skills for parenthood. Hypnosis helps you and your birth partner let go of fears about all aspects of childbirth.
The method teaches you to use self-hypnosis, relaxation, visualisation and breathing methods to prepare mind and body for birth and far beyond when you need to be in a state of calm, control and confidence..
It involves reaching a state of deep relaxation maintaining perception of control over the process and developing a positive attitude.
The material shows you how to use hypnosis for pain management and aims to boost trust in your body so you enter and experience labour feeling calm, confident and in control.
Easibirthing is a UK based model which was developed in conjuction with midwives and therefore complements UK birthing practices. It is designed as a flexible approach to adapt to each individual client, and empower you to manage whatever course your birth experience takes.
The mind has enormous power over the body, which is constantly influenced by our emotions, thoughts and beliefs. The benefits of hypnobirthing include;
- Reduce or eliminate fear
- Produce pervasive relaxation
- Significantly reduce or eliminate the need for medication; thus eliminating its risks and post-delivery effects for both mother and child
- Increase the rate of spontaneous vaginal birth, reducing the need for intervention
- Shorten labour; reduce anxiety during each stage
- Management/control of sensations of discomfort
- Promote a steady recovery
- Increase positive emotions in entire birth process
- Helps create a positive birthing experience
- Reduce incidence of post-natal depression
- Stimulate and maintain a strong energy level into the post-delivery phase
- Promote lactation for breast-feeding
- Calmer, more laid-back baby
The standard training covers a 12 hour ante natal education programme (detailed below). This can be completed in full, or adapted to address specific needs. A full ante natal education programme includes;
- Physiology of childbirth and stages of labour
- Baby’s experience of birth
- How to achieve the ideal mental state during birth (calm, confident, in control)
- Reframing negatives thoughts and fears
- Managing first stage labour/induction hypnosis
- Reactive and preventative hypnosis for managing physical sensations, pain and discomfort
- Transition and Stage 2 labour hypnosis
- Birth partner’s role
- Birth plans/preferences and psychological adjustment to change
- Tools to stay empowered with choices and challenges during childbirth
- Hypnosis for birthing the placenta & breastfeeding
Booking and Fees
You can start your hypnobirthing at any time during your pregnancy. If you have worries, anxieties and fears building, it is best to deal with them as early on as possible. However, having one or two sessions close to your due date is still very valuable, and we can adapt the sessions to ensure that you are prepared as best as possible. Click here to book your first session.
The birthing mother must be at the focus of maternity care and in control of what is happening to her, but birth partners play a vital role too! Birth partners are encouraged to attend and be actively involved in hypnobirthing sessions.
Other pregnancy and childbirth issues
Pregnancy and childbirth related issues can mean this otherwise positive and joyful time can be consumed with physical discomfort, emotional distress and mental ill-health. Where there identified needs for help with specific issues, one to one sessions will be scheduled.
Visit my ante / post natal support page for informaiton about how we can overcome some of these most common issues and more, with one to one sessions using hypnosis and/or counselling;
Sessions can be arranged at my Bridport practice or if more convenient, in your home. Contact me today to discuss how we can achieve your goals.
There are no current group courses scheduled, but please register your interest, and I will inform you of future dates/prices.
The science behind hypnobirthing
Currently being updated…