What is hypnobirthing?
Each birth is unique, and hypnobirthing is about empowering you to manage your individual experience, not fear it. Hypnobirthing empowers you to feel calm, confident and in control before, during and after child birth.
It’s about changing your expectation of birth so that you help rather than hinder the natural process, and develop valuable life skills for parenthood. Hypnosis helps you and your birth partner let go of fears about all aspects of childbirth.
The method teaches you to use self-hypnosis, relaxation, visualisation and breathing methods to prepare mind and body for birth and far beyond when you need to be in a state of calm, control and confidence..
It involves reaching a state of deep relaxation maintaining perception of control over the process and developing a positive attitude.
The material shows you how to use hypnosis for pain management and aims to boost trust in your body so you enter and experience labour feeling calm, confident and in control.
Easibirthing is a UK based model which was developed in conjuction with midwives and therefore complements UK birthing practices. It is designed as a flexible approach to adapt to each individual client, and empower them to manage whatever course their birth experience takes.
The mind has enormous power over the body, which is constantly influenced by our emotions, thoughts and beliefs. The benefits of hypnobirthing include;
- Reduce or eliminate fear
- Produce pervasive relaxation
- Significantly diminish or eliminate the need for medication; thereby eliminating its risks and post-delivery effects for both mother and child
- Increase the rate of spontaneous vaginal birth, reducing the need for intervention
- Shorten the period of labour; by reducing anxiety during each stage
- Make it possible the management and control of sensations of discomfort
- Promote a steady recovery
- Foster and increase positive emotions during the entire birth process
- Help you create of an experience which has positive memories attached
- Reduce incidence of post-natal depression
- Stimulate and maintain a strong energy level into the post-delivery phase
- Promote lactation for breast-feeding
- Calmer, more laid-back baby
Private sessions are currently available to book. The easibirthing method is flexible and adaptable, whether you prefer the full anti-natal programme (detailed below) or several sessions to address specific needs. Sessions can be arranged at my Bridport practice or if more convenient in your home. Contact me today to discuss how we can achieve your goals.
The standard training consists of 10 hours , a full anti-natal education programme:
- Psychological and hormonal conditions of an undisturbed birth/hypnosis
- How to achieve the CCC ideal mental state during birth
- De-hypnotising and reframing negatives messages
- Managing induction and first stage labour
- Reactive and preventative hypnosis for managing pain and discomfort
- Birth partner’s role
- Baby’s experience of birth
- Transition & Stage 2 Labour hypnosis
- Psychologically adjusting to a change in plan
- Tools to stay empowered with choices and challenges in birth
- Hypnosis for birthing the placenta & breastfeeding
There are no current group courses scheduled, but please register your interest here, and I will inform you of future dates/prices.
The science behind hypnobirthing
Currently being updated…
Other pregnancy and childbirth issues
Birthing and parenthood can present some of the most difficult times in our lives, and we all turn to support to get through these. Contact me for an initial consultation to talk about how we can overcome these issues with one-to-one sssions using hypnosis and/or counselling. Some of the common concerns include;